BuiltWithNOF

         Classic Cubs                   The Home of Taildragger Training

Our Cub

ZK-BQV, serial number 18-5546, was imported into New Zealand as a new aircraft, in May 1957, by the Piper Agents, The Auckland Aero Club. It was originally fitted with a Continental C90 engine. BQV was delivered to its first owners, the Waipukurau Aero Club on 6th May 1957, and spent the next 7 years there, until 1964. From there it was sold to the Patea Aero Club.Since then the aircraft has operated from Omaka, Gisbourne and Taupo,  before being purchased and operated from Ardmore, by Ardmore Taildraggers, then Taildragger Classics.In 1973 the engine was replaced by a Continental O-200, which it still runs. BQV has been updated with mandatory equipment modifications, such as transponder, 406 MHz ELT and modern radios to enable it to fit into the modern ATC system, but otherwise is largely as it left the factory. The aircraft currently lives in a hangar at Hamilton Airport, Waikato, with a satelite strip for training at Ngahinapouri, 5 NM to the west of HN. (See About Us/Our Base for a map giving directions)

[Home] [What's New?] [About Us] [Contact Us] [Our Base] [NOTAMS] [Links] [Photo Gallery] [Pilot notices/FAQs] [Training] [Mountain Flying Training] [Aviation Lore] [Calendar] [TeKowhai Fly-in 2010] [Piper Cub information] [Our Cub] [Piper Cub Publications] [Humour] [Places to Go] [Merchandise for sale] [Movies]